By choosing to ride a bicycle on or around campus, you are subject to the rules and regulations set forth in IU Policy FIN-INS-13.
If you are having issues locating your bicycle, contact us at 317-274-4232. Contact IUPD at 317-274-2058 if your bike has been stolen or vandalized.
Bicycles parked illegally, appearing abandoned, or are causing a safety hazard may be removed at your expense. We will attempt to contact the owners of registered bicycles before removal. A warning sticker will be placed on bikes prior to confiscation.
Illegally parked or abandoned bicycles that do not cause a safety concern will be removed 72 hours after notification. It is lawful for the university to remove locking devices in order to impound a bicycle. IUPUI is not responsible for damage to locking devices and/or bicycles that require removal.
Note: Impounded bicycles left unclaimed for 60 days will be sent to IUPUI Surplus for public auction.
Bicycle and Road Safety
Bicycles are a vehicle. It is your responsibility to learn and obey the rules that apply to you as a cyclist.
- Always ride with the flow of traffic, and never on sidewalks or other pedestrian walkways, on grass or non-paved areas, or in University buildings.
- Wear a helmet.
- Dress in bright colored or reflective clothing.
- Yield to vehicles and pedestrians.
- Obey traffic laws and signals.
- Be heard - use a horn or bell.
- Use hand signals and look before turning.
Disclaimer: These tips are offered for your consideration only. You are responsible for conducting your own research on how to bike safely.